May 9, 2005

At padating na sa lamesa ng aming Dean bukas...

May 10, 2005

Prof. Danny Cabulay
Dean - IABF
Far Eastern University


Dear Prof. Cabulay,

Good day. I am tendering my resignation from being the program coordinator of our institute's B.S. Accountancy program, effective at the end of Summer 2005.

I have spent the past month thinking a lot about this. While I have always been passionate about my teaching, sadly I can not say the same thing when doing the administrative work that comes with being a coordinator. A lot of times, I found myself asking the relevance of the tasks I am performing. While I can appreciate these tasks on an intellectual level, I found myself questioning its importance when viewed from a bigger picture. Also, I often found myself questioning more and more the managerial policies of the university, which, as an academic manager, I am expected to support and implement. I really feel that my lack of heart in my current job as coordinator would eventually be a deterrent to achieving FEU's organizational goals. I am still very willing to serve the university as a teacher, as a student organization adviser, as a coach, as a researcher or as a chairperson of a committee, but I do not see any future in being an academic manager.

I am now at a crossroads when it comes to my career. While I found my vocation in teaching, I have never really been comfortable in the field of business as I am more interested in the field of social sciences. By the second semester this coming schoolyear, I would be taking a big step towards that direction as I would hopefully be starting my pursuit for a PhD in Sociology. I am also planning to go back to playing again with my band, in pursuit of an advocacy I have been involved in since 1996. Pursuing these interests would take a lot of my time, and while I could still see myself being able to continue teaching while doing this, the same can not be said for performing adminstrative activities.

You once told me that you would respect the decision that I would make when it comes to my career choices. I hope that you would respect and accept this decision and try not to talk me out of it. Thank you.

Sincerely yours,



Prof. Erwin Rafael
Program Coordinator
B.S. Accountancy

6 comments:

jhay said...

gud luck sa decision mo... sana matupad lahat ng plano mo...

Anonymous said...

piliin nyo lang po kung saan sa tingin nyo kayo "fit". ganun naman talaga dba! if you feel that your heart is absent in what you are doing, you're not being productive. sana mahanap nyo kaligayahan nyo sa ano mang bokasyon.

michelle cruz said...

Sir....nalulungkot nman ako sa letter mo...sumilip kse ko d2 sa blog mo pra sana magrequest na maayos din mga prof & sked ng section3...kse bka dun na kme mpunta dhil sa 30 pa kme enrol...tas gnyan mgresign kn pla as academic manager..=(

la lng sir don't get me wrong...parang naging mas ok kse ung BSA nung ikw ung head kse approachable ka bukod pa sa pinaka malufet! pro selflessly speaking, e ok lng sken. kse if i were in your shoes e i wouldn't let myself be part of a corrupt system, baka maidentify ako wid them...or worse mahawa ko...so u have my support after all.

bsta sir pag balik-rocker ka na e wag mo ko forget i-email ng gigs nyo para maisama ko ung mga frnds kong junkies..hA? (sir paeng, rocker!!!)

bsta sir sana kng pumayag man si dean at mapalitan ka...sana parepareho ng prof lhat ng BSA, tas similar skeds pa din...tska po sna ung sec2 & 3 e magawan ng paraan na even no. ng students kse sir kung katulad last sem na less than 25 lng cla...nkakalungkot ung ambiance, e ung iba irreg pa e di mnsan mas konti pa. shmpre po msya kng mejo pantay bilang pra hndi outnumbered na minsan nagiging underrepresented pa...un lng po...

bsta best of luck syo sir!!!

Paeng said...

^ don't worry, Michelle. ayos na yung sked. hindi man pareho ng araw, halos magkapareho naman ng teacher. at limited nga to 35 students ang kada class kaya magpapantay yan. :)

magaling yung papalit. board exam reviewer. maaasikaso niya yung mga supplementary lectures niyo para ma-update kayo sa SFAS. :)

michelle cruz said...

final na sir? papalitan kn? sad nman...cnong board reviewr? c sir rey? bsta sir slamat sa lhat!!!

wag ka mag alala bibili ko yearbook...

Anonymous said...

sad naman ako sa naging decision mo sir, pero kung san kayo masaya suportahan kita :-) basta ba sir di ka muna aalis sa FEU hanggat di pa kami nakaka-graduate...

--melren--