October 7, 2004

And Finally...I Made the Decision.

Dean Cabulay,

I would like to decline your offer to appoint me as Chairman of the Accountancy Department. It has always been said that for one to excel in what he does, his heart should be in what he is doing. And I just don't have the heart to serve as a full-time administrator.

I love being a teacher. I would never regret leaving my job as an auditor to pursue a teaching career. Being with students from the underserved middle-class and shaping their future gave me a sense of fulfillment and a strong sense that I am doing something socially relevant. I guess that when you first interviewed me, you already saw this youthful idealism burning inside me. And up to this day, that fire keeps on burning.

I know that the adminisrative position of Chairman is also a vital position in business education. However, I am not the type of person who works behind the lines mapping strategies and dealing with "soldiers" who do the work in the battlefield. Instead, I am THE soldier who loves to get his hands dirty while fighting the battle in the frontline. I AM a teacher. I want to be in the classroom and not behind a desk in an office. I want to work with the students, not with problematic adults and stifling bureaucracies whose inefficiencies and penchant for politicking and protection of self-interest has caused me frustrations more than anything else during my stint as SC adviser and as the B.S.A. OIC Coordinator.

Some said that there's lack of maturity in my part for having such a myopic point-of-view specially in deciding on such an important "career move". Maybe that's a valid criticism. But I'd like to tell you some of my plans that I haven't really discussed with a lot of people. After serving out my contract with FEU, I would be leaving this institution. Because I have sensed a "change" coming ever since Mam Echauz came into position, and it's a change that I don't want to be a part of because it goes directly against my reason for choosing FEU - not DLSU, ADMU, UST or UA&P - as the venue to share my knowledge and my talent.

Leaving FEU would also serve as a perfect opportunity for me to finally pursue my dream to shift to another field. I love teaching, but I'm not really into business education. I would rather teach Sociology, which I have had a strong affinity for ever since third-year college when I found out that I am trapped in a course that I really don't like. I am actually planning to take a Master's Degree in Sociology in U.P. starting the next schoolyear. I hope it would come to fruition.

Thank you for the offer, Sir. I am humbled by your faith in my abilities. But I just can't commit myself into something my heart is not into.

Sincerely,

Erwin Rafael

8 comments:

glaiza said...

ei sir... yan pla un.. hmmm... syang tlga sir, pro i think inde nga kau mgi2ng msaya if ever accept nio yan.. na se2nse q po un.. hehehe... la lng.. sir grabeee if ever nga na umalis n kau s FEU, nka2lungkot... kla q po mgpa2ng-abot pa tau, nsa i2sang faculty rum... anyways sir, lam q nmn po n everybody will be happy pra seño kc u will now fulfill ur dream... bsta po d2 pa rin po ang inyong mga anak... ingatz po prati and godbless!!

glaiza said...

ei sir... yan pla un.. hmmm... syang tlga sir, pro i think inde nga kau mgi2ng msaya if ever accept nio yan.. na se2nse q po un.. hehehe... la lng.. sir grabeee if ever nga na umalis n kau s FEU, nka2lungkot... kla q po mgpa2ng-abot pa tau, nsa i2sang faculty rum... anyways sir, lam q nmn po n everybody will be happy pra seño kc u will now fulfill ur dream... bsta po d2 pa rin po ang inyong mga anak... ingatz po prati and godbless!!

Anonymous said...

sir tlgang bilib tlga ako sau...especially sa mga prisipyo mo sa buhay... kaya pag pinakawalan ka ng feu ang laki ng kawalan nila... kht kami malu2ngkot! :( But then kung ika2saya niyo ba y not db...? MABUHAY C SIR PAENG!!! hehehe

Anonymous said...

i dont have anything new to say bacause i believe alam nyo n 2. i just want to give u a two thumbs up and a salute for having that kind of principles to live by. ang lupit!!! not all people can choose beliefs and personal happiness over success and i am a living example of that. mabuhay k sir paeng!!!

Anonymous said...

i dont have anything new to say bacause i believe alam nyo n 2. i just want to give u a two thumbs up and a salute for having that kind of principles to live by. ang lupit!!! not all people can choose beliefs and personal happiness over success and i am a living example of that. mabuhay k sir paeng!!!

Anonymous said...

we support you all the way sir,but its a pity that youre leaving FEU a lot of students could really use the experience and the fun of academic studies' from your funny firm names problem sets to your qoute's of the day in which (com to tink of it) completes our day (where in we base our daily activities to it as a form of an oracle from you) ngekk baduy
sir mahilig pala kau sa Jap movies. try ZAITOICHI and akira their great.....

Paeng said...

Zatoichi at Akira? napanood ko na yun. hehehe... :)

michelle cruz said...

sirrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!
aalis k dn? prang s m'dindin?
sbgay if i were in ur shoes dn cgro.....prang stifled, prang caged-in........sbra kc dme gs2 nyang changes i-implement hnd n humanitarian tska irrelevant n kng ang goal ng university e quality education.......
sna ung mga k2lad nyong pro-students e hnd panghinaan ng loob(naks!) & i-continue ang laban s mapaniil n administrasyon!!!!!!!!(ako b 2?)
sir.........wg kng bibitaw..........pano nlng ung mga susunod n k2lad nmin kng wla ng mga dedicated n tulad nyo?